Monday, January 4, 2016

SURGERY DAY

New Years Eve 2015 just before 2016 makes its world debut!!
No I didn't pick this date lol. They picked it for me. I took what I could get ☺️
My surgery was scheduled for 6:30am at Baylor Trophy Club. We arrived 2hrs early as required and I  believe went back for surgery just ahead of schedule. I was the first one of the day!!
The sleeve took 45 minutes to perform and they corrected a hernia as well. For those interested and uncertain of what the sleeve actually is, you may click this link for a video explanation https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gIHM7mwxo4o

I was in and out of surgery pretty fast and recovery for an hour and a half. I didn't wake up in much pain but I'm sure the meds had a lot to do with that. I was walking in no time and crunching away on ice chips. So far so good. My biggest fear was having very restricted abdominal movement. In 2002 I had my gallbladder removed and the incision approach was very similar to the laparoscopic incisions used for the sleeve. I had a rough recovery from the gallbladder surgery and minimal movement. Luckily, this recovery compared to that one is A PIECE OF CAKE!! aw man, now I want cake. I swear I torture myself unintentionally 😂😂 I'm kidding. I don't even like cake that much lol.

I was up and walking in no time, using the bathroom on my own and successfully swallowing water. Drinking was a huge adjustment. I could only sip and swallow slowly. No gulps whatsoever. I had to sip one ounce per 15minutes. That's 4-5 ounces each hour. Hydration was gonna be key to my discharge. I left at 3pm with 6 tiny incisions containing 2-3 staples in each. Here's a picture
(taken day 3 after removing the bandages)
We stopped by our apartment and grabbed a few items and i even made it up the stairs SAME DAY!! Bryant had to work NYD so we decided to spend NYE with the coolest party animals around... my grandparents. you know i enjoyed that ;) i walked around their house every now and then and sipped away the rest of the day. went to bed pretty early (total party animals huh) and my night was pretty restless. mostly due to dry mouth, not much pain or discomfort. Id say surgery day was a success. perfect way to say goodbye to 2015!!

No comments:

Post a Comment